Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Gunas


I've done some serious soul searching since my last post regarding my lack of motivation.  I decided that my best course of action was to get to a class. It's obvious that just practicing at home isn't cutting it.  So I got up early this morning and hit a Vinyasa class to get things moving and grooving.  I think I'm on the right path to  getting that spark back!

The Gunas - this is in my reading for my next class.  I find that looking at my attitude over the past few weeks in terms of these states of mind is very enlightening.  For those new to this term The Gunas can be defined as the movement of the three parts of the mind:  Rajas - Tamas - Sattva.  Rajas is the active, fiery state; the one that induces us to act.  Tamas is the opposite of Rajas and is the fixed, immobile, heavy state of mind.  And finally Sattva is the quality of insight that is white, clear and transparent.  Since my last training weekend I would say that Tamas has controlled my life.  I had zero interest in doing anything even remotely associated with yoga.  Hence the Vinyasa class this morning.  I was hoping to activate my Rajas and get back in line with my goal.  The goal of course is Sattva.

Some say that knowing is half the battle.  I hope that by knowing where my struggle lies, in my mind, I can push past that and get my body moving again.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment