Sunday, January 2, 2011

A True Yogi



It has taken me some time to understand that my Western definition of a yogi is not entirely accurate.  The more I read yoga philosophy the more I realize that there's so much more to yoga than just doing Sirsasana.  As Westerners we are bombarded with images of perfect people doing perfect poses.  Obviously these are true yogis, right?  Maybe not.  Certainly not according to The Bhagavad Gita.  I just started Chapter 6, Practice of Meditation, and I wanted to share what Eknath Easwaran had to say in his introduction to this Chapter.

For yogi literally means "one who is accomplished in yoga," and yoga means "integration of the spirit." In this sense, yoga means wholeness or the process of becoming whole at the deepest spiritual level.  The word yoga is also often used as a synonym for raja yoga, the practice of meditation as taught by Patanjali; for meditation is the direct means of becoming integrated, united with one's truest, deepest Self.  Thus a yogi, among other things, is a person who is an adept at meditation.

So doing the perfect pose in the perfect yoga clothes from Lululemon isn't exactly necessary for me to call myself a yogi.  What a relief because I'm far from perfecting any pose and I can't afford Lululemon's clothes!    

Selfless service with detachment to the outcome and total surrender to God is the ticket!  And getting your butt on the meditation cushion.  

I just listed some intentions for 2011.  I certainly think working on the above will keep me busy for the next 12 months.

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment