Thursday, August 12, 2010

What is Yoga?


So what is yoga?  I have to answer that question as part of my first homework assignment for my teacher training class.  I think the average Westerner would define it as a new age calisthenics routine that if done on a regular basis can give you an amazing butt!  This same person probably doesn't know that the so-called calisthenic postures are but one "limb" of the yogic practice.


The eight traditional limbs of Ashtanga Yoga practice are:  Yamas - Niyamas - Asanas - Pranayama - Pratiyahara - Dhanana - Dhyana - Samadhi.  The ten attributes, the Yamas and Niyamas, are usually thought of as the ethical precepts that act as the foundation of all the teachings of yoga.


Part of my goal through my training is to adopt these precepts into my everyday life.


Back to the question though - what is yoga?  To me it is the process of connecting the breath, the mind and the body in order to develop an awareness of our true Self and how that Self is connected to all living beings.


What is Yoga to you?

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea. Hope you get much out of this experience.

    ReplyDelete