Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sutra 1.30

Greetings -

I finished reading my Sutra assignment this afternoon and came across one that really resonated with me:  Sutra 1.30.  From the translation by Sri Swami Satchidananda the sutra is: Disease, dullness, doubt, carelessness, laziness, sensuality, false perception, failure to reach firm ground and the slipping from the ground gained - these distractions of the mind-stuff are the obstacles.  Could there have been anything better for me to read during my time of struggle?  I don't think so.  Gurudev finishes his translation of this sutra by stating:  Remember, Yoga practice is like an obstacle race; many obstructions are purposely put on the way for us to pass through.  They are there to make us understand and express our own capacities.  We all have that strength, but we don't seem to know it.

Do you have a favorite sutra?

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment