Saturday, February 5, 2011

#365Yoga Day 36 - Breathing into discomfort


It's a rainy day in Central Virginia.  Days like this I have a tough time getting motivated to do much of anything.  Thankfully I stuck to my guns and started my day with a great Vinyasa 2 class.  I read Judith's entry before leaving the house today and honestly thought that I probably wouldn't get a chance to practice breathing my anger into being present.  How wrong I was!  I didn't exactly get "angry" during class but I was certainly irritated.  My teacher training instructor has talked on numerous occasions about students who come to classes that are above their skill level.  There was a gentleman next to me today who had done just that.  While I'm trying to settle into my breath and the flow of the class he was literally huffing, puffing, snorting, laughing (when he is falling out of poses) and gesturing wildly on the mat next to me.  It was very distracting.  But I remembered Judith's words and started to concentrate that much harder on my breath and mantra.  It worked.  Pretty soon I stopped sensing him and just worked on jumping back from Bakasana.  Once I recognized he was irritating, but told myself that nothing was going to be gained from clinging to that I was able to move past it.  That was an amazing experience!!  I went on to have a very enjoyable class.

Some good news now.  I can honestly say that I have never won anything.  I can't even win $2 on the scratch off lottery cards.  Well that changed last night when Nancy of Flying Yogini announced on Twitter that I was the winner of the bolster from last month's contest (we had to write about what yoga meant to us and how we are going to live it the next 11 months).  To say I was floored is an understatement. You would have thought I won the darn mega millions the way I was bouncing around the house.  My boyfriend thought I was off my rocker.  I can't wait to get my new bolster!!  Thank you Nancy.  And thank you for your wonderful words of wisdom each day.

Enjoy your day and remember to breathe into discomfort.  It really works!
Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment