Sunday, October 17, 2010

Samskara


Samskara - loosely translated as "deep impression".  I learned about this in terms of my yoga practice this weekend during teacher training.  It seems that for the past decade I have been doing certain yoga poses incorrectly.  This was a tough fact to learn while doing these poses in front of the whole class!!  These movements have been so deeply ingrained in my mind and body that the adjustments my instructor made actually felt uncomfortable.  But after a few moments of being in the posture I realized that my feeling of discomfort was mainly mental because physically the pose actually felt better.  Of course now the real work begins.  I need to undo all my samskaras and get out of the vicious cycle I've created.

I don't go back to training until the 3rd weekend in November.  Between now and then I will need to work with props to try and teach my body a new way of moving.  I'll keep you posted!

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment