Tuesday, April 12, 2011

#365 Yoga Day 102 – Shamatha



The meditation technique that Cyndi Lee taught us this past weekend was new to me.  And something that I plan to take on.  I find it particularly challenging because the eyes are open and focused about five feet in front of you.  She suggests keeping your gaze soft and wide without going fuzzy.  You’re to think of your vision as being panoramic. 

The breath in this technique is not your primary focus.  Cyndi states you should only place about 25% of your attention there.  Let your awareness of your mind extend out to your environment.  This is really tough for me because I have a tendency to attach onto sounds and smells. 

Another new component for me is naming your thoughts “thinking”.  I’ve mainly practiced with a mantra so I need to re-program my brain to include “thinking” as part of the practice.  She stressed that when you find yourself wandering and noting you’re thinking you need to do this in a compassionate way.  Don’t scold yourself for having a thought (or many).  This straying of thoughts is part of the practice and every moment offers a chance at a fresh start.  I love that! 

If you want to learn more about this technique and the other wonderful things Cyndi has to offer please check out her book Yoga Body, Buddha Mind.  I highly recommend it!

Namaste’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment